Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] the return of the strbuf

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:35:22 +0200

On lun, sep 17, 2007 at 12:52:11 +0000, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   While getting rid of ->eof in strbuf (as it was somehow tasteless). It
> made me aware of the fact that fast-import.c was using a custom buffer
> implementation (I think that was the fourth if not the fifth). So here
> is the series that eradicates it.
> 
>   Trying to understand fast-import.c code, I happened to remark that it
> was possible to avoid many reallocations, just by reusing old buffers
> rather than dropping them (this was not possible in a readable way
> before, but it is now, and uses the same mechanisms that was garbage
> collecting buffers, to swap them instead).
> 
>   I've not enough stuff to do real-life tests of the old fast-import and
> the new one, but I wouldn't be surprised that it gives a quite nice
> speed improvements for tools that use long fast-import batches. If not,
> well, the code is shorter and more readable, hence it's still a gain.

Shawn: Johannes makes me remark that you are git-fast-import author,
hence may want to be Cc-ed of that series, so here is a mail so that you
don't miss the thread.

The list: it's often hard to know who you should Cc on a given change,
I use format.headers to force Junio and git@, but sometimes you want a
different set of persons. I wonder if this could not be wired in the
repository, as a .gitattribute extension ?

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org