Subject: Re: State of Perforce importing.

From: Simon Hausmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:58:21 +0200

On Monday 17 September 2007 21:30:28 David Brown wrote:
> I'd like to track a lot of code living in a Perforce repository, so I've
> been playing with 'git-p4.py'.  Is the one in the contrib/fast-import
> directory the latest version, or is there a better place.

This is indeed the latest version (on contrib/fast-import).

> So far, it is having a couple of problems:
>
>    - The commit comment is empty.  It doesn't seem to grab the Perforce
>      description, and the user seems to be <a@b>.

This may be a problem with the python output of perforce. Can you run the 
following command?

	git-p4 debug change <a change number in your depot>

That should print a dictionary that has a 'desc' field containing the commit 
comment/log and a 'user' field that has the perforce user name.

>    - Every revision seems to check every file out of Perforce.  This means
>      that for the directory I want, every revision is going to take about
> 20 minutes.

For every revision only every _changed_ file is retrieved (using p4 
print //path/file#revision).

Simon