Subject: Referring a commit-id remote repo.

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:16:35 -0700

Say someone has given me a url to a git-web view of a commit:

<http://www.linux-arm.org/git?p=linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=c1a54638653ef81187309624940bfa1537aa0fab>

I managed to mangle this around to a repo name that I can clone from, so I
try:

   % git clone git://linux-arm.org/linux-2.6.git play

Now, from within my new directory, I try looking at this commit:

   % git show c1a54638653ef81187309624940bfa1537aa0fab
   fatal: bad object c1a54638653ef81187309624940bfa1537aa0fab

Ok, so they repo appears to have an object that none of their refs can
find, so I didn't pull it over with the clone.

Looking at the patch, I was able to find other commits with the same
content, so I suspect they were doing some rebasing on their repo, after
sending someone a commit ID via email.

The question I have: is there any way I can look at this particular commit
ID on the remote repo?  I couldn't come up with any way to get git fetch to
retrieve it.

Thanks,
David Brown