Subject: Re: Referring a commit-id remote repo.

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 08:24:12 -0700

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, David Brown wrote:
>
>> The question I have: is there any way I can look at this particular 
>> commit ID on the remote repo?  I couldn't come up with any way to get 
>> git fetch to retrieve it.
>
>Unless you have push access, no.  And this is very much by design.  For 
>example, when somebody mistakenly pushed a secret (like what lines in the 
>kernel infringe on M$ patents, if any) it should be possible to rebase (in 
>a hurry), force a push, and have the safe feeling that nobody can fetch 
>the secret any longer.

I've found the commits in the 'master' branch, and it looks like the
developer had done a rebase on Sept 3.  I've informed the person asking me
the question to use these commit IDs, and hopefully they won't be doing any
rebasing on their master branch.

Dave