Subject: Re: git push (mis ?)behavior

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:35:54 +0200

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 05:10:09AM +0000, Miles Bader wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I think it is sensible to have an option to make it push only the
> > current branch.  I am not sure if it is sensible to make that the
> > default.
> 
> I really like the current default, it matches my mental model well:  I
> generally use "push" to mean "synchronize the remote repository with my
> current one"; if multiple branches have changed, I want those changes
> propagated too.

  I understand that … and I know some people rely on the current
behavior…

> I think changing it would be a bad idea, it just seems a pointlessly
> incompatible change.

  There definitely is a point: with the current behaviour you sometimes
end up pushing more than what you meant, with sometimes WIP that you
intend to rebase, and it hurts. Git porcelains should help you avoid to
shoot yourself in the foot, hence I think that (especially to git
newcomers), the current default _is_ dangerous.

  Though, OTOH, I believe that git push <remote> could keep the current
behavior. I'm also okay with the fact that git push could be
configurable in that regard.

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org