Subject: Re: git push (mis ?)behavior

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:28:16 +0200

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 04:18:56PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> This thread is getting painful.  Lot's of "I want"s, but nobody to date 
> came up with a solution that makes both oldtimers and newtimers happy.

I think I made a proposal that tries to reach some kind of consensus:

`git push`::
    no arguments given just pushes the current branch you're on, into
    origin, if a refspec matches.

`git push <remote>`::
    works like now (aka pushes all branches that match a remote branch
    in the given remote).

This way, you can have current "git push" using "git push origin", but
you also have a convenient way to push only the current branch into your
default remote repository without needing to spell out:

  $ git push origin `git symbolic-ref HEAD`

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org