Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add a simple option parser.

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:21:40 +0200

> +/* Parse the given options against the list of known options.  The
> + * order of the option structs matters, in that ambiguous
> + * abbreviations (eg, --in could be short for --include or
> + * --interactive) are matched by the first option that share the
> + * prefix.

  Do we really want that ?

  I do believe that it's a very bad idea, as it silently breaks. Most of
the command line switches people need to use have a short form, or their
shell will complete it properly.

  A very interesting feature though, would be to finally be able to
parse aggregated switches (`git rm -rf` anyone ?).

  I also believe that it's a pity that parse_options isn't able to
generate the usage by itself. But we can add that later.

  I've though an alternate proposal, based on your work, for the first
patch.
-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org