Subject: Re: Many gits are offline this week

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:01:53 -0400

"Randal L. Schwartz" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >>>>> "Paolo" == Paolo Ciarrocchi <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Paolo> is there any material (slides, docs) you can share before the talks?
> 
> I've had the slides reviewed by Smarter People Than Me on #git already, so
> hopefully most of it is accurate. :)  They're temporarily at
> 
>   http://www.stonehenge.com/pic/Git-2.0.3-to-be.pdf
> 
> I still hope to have a few hours to go in and add a few sadly missing
> graphics, particularly on the rebase vs merge section.

What, no mention of git-gui as a porcelain?  It has more users
than qgit according to the survey.  Maybe rephrase the porcelains
on slide 15 as:

  Other porcelain exists:
    - StGit ("stacked git"), guilt
    - tig (curses-based viewer)
    - qgit, git-gui

On slide 26 you say "gitk mytopic origin" shows the changes back to
the common ancestor.  That's what "gitk mytopic...origin" would do.
Note the three dots instead of the space.  The space will cause
gitk to show all history back to the beginning of time.

On slide 27 you say that you can rebase your changes on upstream
using "git-rebase origin/master master".  That's a lot more
typing than is required, most people will want to rebase their
current branch onto the upstream and thus will use "git-rebase
origin/master".  Personally I think combining git-checkout's branch
switch feature into git-rebase is stupid.  It really makes things
confusing.  But its supported.  :-(

-- 
Shawn.