Subject: Re: yet another workflow question...

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:25:57 +0100

On Thursday 2007 October 11, Jing Xue wrote:
> Quoting Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>:
> >  - Mobility.  This one is a bit distributed, but I hope you'll let
> > me have it.
> >    I often do work on my desktop at home, my desktop at work and my
> > laptop. By setting my remotes up correctly in git it's really easy to
> > walk to another system and pick up exactly where I left off from the
> > other computer.  More importantly though, when you accidentally make
> > changes in two places, there is no danger of data loss.
>
> To extend on this point, after picking up the randomly checked-in save
> point on another computer, the save point itself can be easily
> git-reset'ed.  So there won't be commits like "it's utter broken but i
> got to go home" polluting the history.  I find that extremely handy.

Absolutely; in fact I've had times when I've done things like this:

 git merge laptop-branch
 git merge home-branch
 git reset HEAD^^

That is to say, I'm not interested in documenting the merges, I just want to 
bring a set of changes from different places together ready for some proper 
commits, which of course can be done really easily with git add -i.

Andy
-- 
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
[email-masked]