Subject: Re: How to Import a bitkeeper repo into git

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:03:59 -0400

Pete/Piet Delaney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I imported the CVS repository to git and it worked great. Since all
> of our other repository are in bitkeeper the management would like to
> stick with CVS. With git apparently still being weak in the area of
> supporting difftool on different version that seems somewhat reasonable
> for the time being.
...
> I was curious why the difftool paradigm hasn't been integrated into
> the git GUIs. It's very comfortable and I think it has been used in
> other source code control systems, for example Sun Microsystems.

What's difftool?  What's so great about it?

Forgive my ignorance but it has been many years since I last used
BitKeeper and even when I did use it I didn't get into many of the
features it offered.  Its entirely possible I never learned about
difftool.

I've never found that I cannot get the information I need out of Git
when I need it.  Actually I've found it to be the easiest VCS to get
data out of, beating CVS, Perforce, BitKeeper, SVN, etc. hands down.
Of course I also know Git better than I know those tools...

-- 
Shawn.