Subject: Re: Is there any plan to support partial checkout or submoudule improvement?

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:33:59 +0200

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 19:53:08 +0800, franky wrote:
> > You are talking as if your partial checkout was a project in its own
> > right.  Then make it so.  Do not use a partial checkout, but make that a
> > submodule.
> 
> As I said in the first email, the submodule way suffers from the multiple
> commit problem: src and bin as two submodules of project, three commits (for
> the 3 dirs separately) are needed when src directory changes and compiled
> binaries being put in bin directory. It's annoying to have to give 3 commit
> logs.

Thinking about it, it's only two commits -- src can be a submodule, but bin
a normal directory (you can choose not to check out subprojects during
repository checkout).

This has the advantage, that bin, even when src is not checked out, always
knows what version of src it is based on (it's in the gitlink) and you only
give two commit messages.

Now I would actually say that commiting bin independently is better.
It allows you to commit sources more often (eg. if you are doing series of
small fixes) and more flexibility for branching (you don't want to merge
binaries).

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>