Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: Speed up get_projects_list for large source trees

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:20:58 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:04:14AM -0700, Luke Lu wrote:
> Hi, I've been using git for a month now and loving it. This is my first 
> ever patch for git using git. I spent sometime to find out why the project 
> listing is taking 200s, everytime! I guess that gitweb is mostly used to 
> serve bare repositories, which would never encounter such problems. It 
> takes .2s, after the patch on my laptop. That's 1000x improvement for me 
> (on Mac OS X 1.4.10.)

  that'd be sweet to have but this is unfortunately not so simple; this
change would e.g. break gitweb on repo.or.cz, where some projects can
live quite deep inside the tree due to forks.

  I guess the best way would be to introduce a configuration option that
lets you potentially limit the $pfxdepth, but does not force the limit.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Early to rise and early to bed makes a male healthy and wealthy and dead.
                -- James Thurber