Subject: Re: revised: [PATCH] Color support added to git-add--interactive.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:51:52 -0400

Dan Zwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Adds color to the prompts and output of git-add--interactive.

I'm probbaly going to publish this in `pu` tonight but I have some
comments that I think need to be addressed before this graduates
any further.

First off, no Signed-off-by?  This is big enough that I refuse to
put it in the main tree without one.  Second it would really have
helped if the email was formatted with `git format-patch`.  Copying
the message headers and body over for the commit message was less
than fun.  I have better things to do with my time.
 
> +color.interactive.<slot>::
> +        Use customized color for add--interactive output. `<slot>`

You probably should talk about `git add --interactive` as that
is what the git-add documentation calls it.  Many end-users don't
even know that `git add -i` is exec()'ing into another program to
accomplish its task.  I fixed this up when I applied the patch.

> +Note: these are not the same colors/attributes that the
> +rest of git supports, but are specific to git-add--interactive.

This is a problem in my opinion.  Why can't it match the same
names that the C code recognizes?  What if we one day were to
see git-add--interactive.perl converted to C?  How would we then
reconcile the color handling at that point in time?

-- 
Shawn.