Subject: Re: On Tabs and Spaces

From: Christer Weinigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 02:31:03 +0200

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:44:22 +0100 (BST)
Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> 
> > I'm not that invisible am I?
> > 
> >     cd linux-2.6.22.7
> >     find . -type f | xargs egrep -il "weinigel" | wc -l
> >     17
> 
> File or directory not found.
> 
> We are not Linux specific here.  Besides, I was talking about _git_
> source code, just in case I did not make myself clear.

You do not have a sense of humor, do you?  And you elided the paragraph
where I said that I haven't contributed anything to git so far. :-/

> > [...] and privately I use CVS just because I started using CVS ten
> > years ago and haven't bothered to change.
> 
> I wonder why you have to leave your hideout and comment on the source
> code of _git_, then.  I mean, why do _you_ care?  (It should have
> become apparent to you that _we_ care, so it looks even more like you
> wanted to dictate a policy on git, which you have no business with.)

Where did I say that I'm not interested in git?  If I weren't I
wouldn't have been reading this mailing list since it was first
created.  The reason I don't use git is a lack of time.  Professionally
I usually have no need to use git since my employer doesn't use it.
On my own time, I haven't even had time and energy to switch away from
CVS, even though I ought to have done that years ago.  I dabble a bit
with git, mercurial, org bitkeeper (or did at least) when I need to
access something out on the net which is stored in such a repository,
but I haven't switched any of my projects over to using anything else.

I'm definitely interested in git, and it's interesting to read the
mailing list to see where git is going.  And I'd definitely like git to
move in a direction where it's usable for me, or even better, where I
can recommend it to my (often Windows-only) colleagues.  

And once again you cut out the part where I said that git is Junio's
baby, he decides what goes into the main git tree, and if he says 8
wide hard tabs, that it is.  I haven't argued against that at all.  So
I'm wondering why you are trying to project things I haven't
said on me.

  /Christer (pissing contensts are silly, so why the hell am I getting
             involved in one?)