Subject: Re: git-merge: need a tap with the cluestick, please

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:35:18 -0400

walt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Now when I pull from Linus the merge stops in the middle because of
> conflicts with my .gitignore file <sigh>.  Anything I try now with
> git-merge tells me I can't do that in the middle of a conflicted
> merge.  Yes, I know that now, but what should I do instead?
> 
> I could move my 'obj' out-of-tree but then I wouldn't learn anything.
> This has to be bone-head easy, but not for me :)

How about putting the ignore for your obj dir in your own private
exclude file:

  $ echo /obj >>.git/info/exclude

will cause Git to ignore an "obj" directory if it is found in the
top level of the repository.  And since this file is not actually
tracked as part of the repository it will apply to all branches
in this repository and won't cause merge conflicts when upstream
makes changes to .gitignore.

As for aborting a merge that you have gotten into the middle of
decided you want to get out of, use `git reset --hard`.  That will
throw away all of the unmerged state and put you back to your
pre-merge state.

-- 
Shawn.