Subject: Re: git push bug?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:24:51 -0400

Steffen Prohaska <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> >
> ># > git push ssh://devsrv/var/git/os2kernel.git linus:refs/linus
...
> >error: refusing to create funny ref 'refs/linus' locally
> >ng refs/linus funny refname
> >error: failed to push to 'ssh://devsrv/var/git/os2kernel.git'
...
> You may need to cleanup though. I'm not sure if the remote side
> already created 'refs/linus'. The error message only indicates that
> locally git refused to create the "funny refname".

Cute.  The error message "error: refusing to create .. locally"
is actually coming from the remote site.  Locally here is
actually remotely.  We *really* should change that.  Its l.169 of
receive-pack.c, which is only running on the remote side.  :)

Anyone game to improve that error message?  Should be a pretty
simple patch.  One of the may low-hanging fruits in Git.

-- 
Shawn.