Subject: Re: Proposed git mv behavioral change

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:57:15 -0400

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2007, at 11:47:32 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> >I don't know exactly how git manages the index
> >internally, but a
> >shortcut for this would be to simply rename the index entry in place.
> 
> Seems like the shortcut would lose the history and confuse git.

No.  It wouldn't.  The index has no knowledge of history of anything.
For good reason.  Its strictly a mapping of file name to some basic
stat information (used to determine if the file has been modified
by the user or not) and the SHA-1 of the staged blob.  That's it.
No history.  The shortcut the original poster was asking about
wouldn't confuse Git one bit.
 
-- 
Shawn.