Subject: Re: Proposed git mv behavioral change

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:19:59 -0400

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On 18 Oct 2007, at 9:54:19 PM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> >Elsewhere in git we use the --cached command line option to mean
> >"only make the change in the index".
> 
> It seems like --cached should be phased out in favor of --index/ed

No, --index is something else.

But I was originally *way* wrong to propose --cached for this usage
in git-mv.  --cached means "apply *ONLY* to the index" and "do *NOT*
touch the working tree".  Here we want to touch the working tree
in the sense of moving the file.  So --cached is not the correct
option name.

--index is used in Git for places were we update *both* the index
and the working directory (git-apply --index).  So actually I should
have suggested "git-mv --index".  Whoops.

-- 
Shawn.