Subject: Re: [PATCH] allow git to use the PATH for finding subcommands and help docs

From: Scott Parish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:18:05 -0700

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:21:12PM +0200, Johannes Sixt wrote:

>  Scott Parish schrieb:
> > I have a situation where software for a distribution is installed
> > into a fake "prefix" and then moved to one of several potential
> > places to be used by users. Given that the final location isn't
> > static, i can't depend on builtin_exec_path. I'd really like users
> > to be able to get started with git as easily as possible. With the
> > current setup, they would have to create and maintain either an
> > GIT_EXEC_PATH or an alias for including --exec-path, as well as a
> > MANPATH and PERL5LIB. This seem like an unnessisary burden.
> 
>  Interesting. How does this compare to this 2-patch-series:
> 
>  http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git?a=commitdiff;h=e479ea2f911b8c70a269ba59372a4fef90f8907c
>  http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git?a=commitdiff;h=00a4ff4f3f8ec7e6b3ac15456f00b22b03f438ae
> 
>  which I had come up with to accomplish something very similar
>  (on Windows). Your approach looks superior, but I hadn't gone
>  into depths, yet.

I know very little about what's available on windows. Looking at
your code, it looks like the command isn't passed in in argv[0] and
that it contains the windows style path seperators. My code currently
assumes that PATH is a colon separated list, and that directories
are separated with '/'. How should these assumptions change for
windows?

sRp

-- 
Scott Parish
http://srparish.net/