Subject: Re: Proposed git mv behavioral change

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:02:49 -0400

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On 20 Oct 2007, at 2:36:28 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> >Today I move the file, then unstage the hunks I'm not sure about,
> >then go back and restage them.  Annoying.  It really disrupts
> >my workflow.
> 
> I know it's against policy, but the proposed change should be set
> as the default at some point, in my opinion.

Its not so much policy as a timing issue.

Git 1.5.4 shouldn't have major distruptions to end-users in terms
of changing existing behavior to be different than in 1.5.3.
Especially default behavior.

Git 1.6.0 we're a little bit more willing to change default
behavior as it is a full major release.  This is probably quite a
bit off still, unless we started to accumulate a lot of really good
changes that required breaking something in the user interface.
That's what happened with the 1.4.4 series vs. 1.5.0.  Right now
I don't see that happening anytime soon.

> I have a feeling that my suggestion will not go far,
> but I also think that backwards compatibility can
> overstay its welcome.

I agree.

-- 
Shawn.