Subject: Re: [msysGit] Re: Fourth incarnation of the msysGit herald

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:19:26 +0200

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 20:04:20 +0200, Steffen Prohaska wrote:
>
> On Oct 20, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Jan Hudec wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 00:25:49 +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>> git gui
>>> =======
>>>
>>> git gui is a really nice program, and as I often said, I consider it
>>> more porcelain than a gui, since it uses the git core directly, instead
>>> of wrapping around porcelain commands.
>>>
>>> The user experience I had with git gui made me think that this should
>>> be the primary interface Windows users should be confronted with, not
>>> the command line.
>>>
>>> The major problem we had in msysGit is that git-gui was to be launched
>>> from the Start Menu, or a QuickLaunch icon.  This is in contrast to
>>> the shell, where you usually start git gui in a working directory.
>>
>> It would be nice to install an entry in the explorer menu to run git-gui 
>> in
>> a selected directory. It can be done by just writing something like to the
>> registry (completely untested -- I just looked it up on the internet):
>
> What you propose is already there!

Nice. Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't yet have time to try out, and I didn't
see it mentioned.

> Did you try the most recent setup?
>
> http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/Git-1.5.3-preview20071019.exe

No; I don't have loosedows here (at home), so I'll have to try it at work
when I have a little time. I certainly will.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>