Subject: Re: [PATCH] On error, do not list all commands, but point to --help option.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:29:53 -0400

Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 10:06:53PM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> 
> > I actually had to do `git config alias.upsh push` just to keep
> > myself from screaming every time I made a small typo and Git gave
> > me a screenful of "helpful reminders".
> 
> Yeah, somebody should really work on bash completion...

  $ git pu<TAB><TAB>
  pull     push

By the time I type out "pus" and hit tab I've already typed out
the name "push ".  Except I frequently find myself getting the
u before the p, which can't complete.  Of course with the above
alias in place "git u<TAB>" completes out uniquely to "git push "
(between bash completion and the alias expansion).

But that alias isn't there for my bash tab completion.  Its there
exactly because otherwise "git upsh" gives me 31 lines of useless
(to me) output without it.

-- 
Shawn.