Subject: Re: how to deal with conflicts after "git stash apply"?

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:26:09 -0400

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Scott Parish wrote:
> 
> > How is the intended way to deal with "git stash apply" conflicts?
> > If i just edit the file and remove the conflict, "git diff" gives
> > some really messed up output. Documentation for other commands and
> > conflicts suggest "git commit" after cleaning up the conflict, or
> > "git add", but in the case of "stash apply" i'm not ready for a
> > commit yet, and "git add" keeps "git diff" from showing any output.
> 
> You are probably seeing combined diffs.
> 
> This show not only the differences of the working tree relative to HEAD, 
> but also of the changes stored in the stash.

The reason Scott is seeing a combined diff here is merge-recursive
left the different versions of the file in the higher order stages
of the index when it found conflicts during the apply.  You need
to use git-add to stage the resolved file and replace the higher
order stages with just the normal stage 0.

-- 
Shawn.