Subject: Re: What's cooking in git/spearce.git (topics)

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:27:52 -0400

Theodore Tso <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 06:15:09PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > 
> > Sorry, WI is for "what's in", WC is for "what's cooking".  I
> > should remove PU and RB from there.
> 
> I assume PU is what you used to build your proposed-update branch?

Actually I found PU of some use:

	git branch -f pu next
	git checkout pu
	./Meta/PU --continue

its a little sluggish to list, but made it pretty easy to pick
topics for merging into pu.  git-rerere really makes it easy to
recover conflicts in pu during future rebuilds of pu.

> based off of master, and then merged into next.  Or maybe I'm not
> understanding how to make the WC and git-topic.perl script work and
> sing for me perfectly?

The other tidbits I managed to learn by trial and error here was
to make sure I did the following:

	- make sure master is fully merged into next
	- make sure next is fully merged into pu
	- Run "Meta/git-topic.perl --base=master | less"

It wasn't uncommon for me to merge master->next, next->pu, run
git-topic, then reset both next and pu *back* to what I had last
published (remote tracking branches updated during push make this
easy) before moving on with my next and pu updating activities.

Of course take my notes above with a grain of salt; I only worked
this way for a week and it took me a couple of days to come up with
the above.  Junio may very well have it streamlined even more.

-- 
Shawn.