Subject: Re: What's cooking in git/spearce.git (topics)

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:30:03 -0400

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 01:07:26AM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Junio has in the past proposed rewinding next, especially after a
> significant release (e.g. 1.5.3).  

Hmm, yes.  I think I'd want to rewind next after a while; the thought
of next drifting hundreds or thousands of commits away from master
just gives me the heebee-jeebies.  I'm sure it mostly works, but it
just feels wrong.  :-)

> A bunch of folks (myself included if I recall correctly) didn't want
> to do this, as we create topic branches locally from things in next
> and sometimes make commits over them to improve the topic further.

I guess I don't see why this would be a hardship; would a quick rebase
on the topic branches more or less take care of the problem?  

I guess that brings up another question; I've been regularly rebasing
the topics branches as master and next advances... probably more out
of superstition than anything else.  Is that a bad idea for any reason?

Hmm... I guess some of this would be really good to get into the Howto
section of the user guide when talking about git workflows!

	       	    	       	       	     	 - Ted