Subject: Re: intended use of "git --exec-path"?

From: Scott Parish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:47:49 -0700

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:38:19AM -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Scott Parish <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > "git --exec-path" presently prints out the highest priority path
> > to find executable in. That's a what; i'm curious why and when it
> > should be used. Basically i'm wondering if its still useful, and
> > what, if anything, it should be printing.
> 
> git-gui uses it.  git-gui runs git-* by prefixing it with the
> exec path.  It also scans the first line of the file if we are on
> Windows and the "executable" doesn't end in ".exe" so it can figure
> out what process to run it through.
> 
> So it really can't go away.

So it sounds like it might be more helpful for git to return its
PATH, so other programs can set their PATH or search for executables
accordingly.

sRp

-- 
Scott Parish
http://srparish.net/