Subject: Re: best git practices, was Re: Git User's Survey 2007 unfinishedsummary continued

From: Mike Hommey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:04:51 +0200

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:02:19PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 11:21 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> 
> > And of course it's inelegant.  You just told us we were dealing with
> > CVS-brain-damaged corporate developers who can't be bothered to learn
> > about the fine points of using things the git way.
> 
> Ignore the corporate developers who use SCMs only because their company
> requires them to.  Git is not the right thing for them; some
> Eclipse-based monstrosity probably is.  It's like the horrendous
> Oracle-based expense-reporting thing we have to use at Novell; I use it
> because they make me, not because I'm particularly excited about
> reporting expenses :)
> 
> However, *do think* of the free software developers who have been using
> CVS forever.  You won't make friends among them if you keep saying, "you
> use CVS?  You are brain-damaged, then."  CVS has been as good/bad to
> them as to anyone else, and they are probably delighted to get a better
> solution.  That solution needs to take into account the concepts to
> which they have been exposed for the past N years.  Just because your
> new concepts are better, doesn't mean that their old ones were wrong in
> their time.

It's probably just a matter of writing a "git for CVS users" document.

Mike