Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:18:48 -0400

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:27:55PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I think what you are trying to do is to deprecate or remove "git
> clean".
> 
> I do not know where "git clean" came from.  I am suspecting that
> it was to give counterparts to some other SCMs, but do not know
> which ones.  Some people wanted to have it --- so you need to
> convince them that it is a bad idea first.  Adding an equivalent
> options to "git rm" alone does not solve that issue.

There's this great SCM tool called git that we can use to investigate
the history of changes....  :-)

Looks like it came from Cogito's cg-clean.  No one else has it as far
as I know, and I agree with others that it's a really not such a great
idea.  Fortunately most of the damage can be mitigated with "git
config --global clean.requireForce true", but the newbies won't know
to do that.  

							- Ted