Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:42:07 +0100

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:28:30AM +0000, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > Petr Baudis wrote:
> > > On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 01:04:03AM +0100, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > 
> > >> Is 'getopts' bash-ism, or is it in POSIX?
> > > 
> > > 	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/getopts.html
> > > 
> > > (Also, most modern distributions have manpage section 1p (3p, ...) with
> > > the same contents, so you can check for this stuff pretty easily.)
> > 
> > Thanks.
> > 
> > I have just realized however that it doesn't help any (option parser
> > not only for C builtin, but also for shell scripts, Perl scripts and
> > Python scripts). First, we (the git development community) do not
> > consider fact that something is in POSIX as indicator that we can use
> > the construct. Second, getopts delas IIRC only with _short_ options.
> 
> Just a thought:
>   http://www.systhread.net/texts/200704optparse.php

Well, I'm sure we could probably do the same with our own `git-parseopt`
tool, couldn't we ?

I'll try to give it a shot, and it'll have all the features shell-script
currently have at great costs of code length (like the lazy way to type
long options: -q|--q|--qu|--qui|...)

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org