Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add missing inside_work_tree setting in setup_git_directory_gently

From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:03:07 +0700

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 09:33:40PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > When both GIT_DIR and GIT_WORK_TREE are set, and
> > setup_git_directory_gently() changes the current working
> > directory accordingly, it should also set inside_work_tree = 1.
> >
> > Without this, work_tree handling code in setup_git_directory()
> > will be activated. If you stay in root work tree (no prefix),
> > it does not harm. It does if you work from a subdirectory though.
> 
> Please add automated test script for this, thanks.
> 

Thank you for reminding.  I tried to put a test in
t1501-worktree.sh and found out core.worktree can override
inside_work_tree previously set by setup_git_directory_gently(),
activating the worktree code in setup_git_directory() again.

This made me think setup_git_directory_gently() should use
get_git_work_tree() instead. But then git_work_tree_cfg may not be
initialized when get_git_work_tree() is called (starting from
setup_git_directory(), git_work_tree_cfg is initialized in
check_repository_format_version(), which is called _after_
setup_git_directory_gently()).

The interaction between these variables and functions is really beyond
my knowledge. Johannes, can you have a look at this? In theory the
following test should pass:

diff --git a/t/t1501-worktree.sh b/t/t1501-worktree.sh
index 7ee3820..bdb7720 100755
--- a/t/t1501-worktree.sh
+++ b/t/t1501-worktree.sh
@@ -103,6 +103,11 @@ test_expect_success 'repo finds its work tree from work tree, too' '
 	 test sub/dir/tracked = "$(git ls-files)")
 '
 
+test_expect_success 'Try a command from subdir in worktree' '
+	(cd repo.git/work/sub &&
+	GIT_DIR=../.. GIT_WORK_TREE=.. git blame dir/tracked)
+'
+
 test_expect_success '_gently() groks relative GIT_DIR & GIT_WORK_TREE' '
 	cd repo.git/work/sub/dir &&
 	GIT_DIR=../../.. GIT_WORK_TREE=../.. GIT_PAGER= \
-- 
Duy