Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-revert is one of the most misunderstood command in git, help users out.

From: Alejandro Martinez Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:54:33 +0100

On Mon 05 Nov 2007, 11:28, Steven Grimm wrote:
>
> But that suggested command is not going to convince anyone they were wrong 
> about git being hard to learn. I wonder if instead of saying, "I know what 
> you meant, but I'm going to make you type a different command," we should 
> make git revert just do what the user meant.

I think that would just add to confusion.  "revert" applies to full
changesets, not single files, plus it creates a new commit, which is
probably not what the user wants.  Most of them just want to revert some
local changes to some random files, so teach them what they need, if
anything.

> There is already precedent for that kind of mixed-mode UI:
>
> git checkout my-branch
> vs.
> git checkout my/source/file.c

This is a different case: you're basically performing the same
operation, with the second line applying just to a subset of files.

- Alex