Subject: Re: git pull opinion

From: Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:31:44 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:38:41AM +0000, Alex Riesen wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit, Tue, Nov 06, 2007 01:46:01 +0100:
> > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 12:36:16AM +0000, Bill Lear wrote:
> > > On Monday, November 5, 2007 at 15:33:31 (-0800) Junio C Hamano writes:
> > > > Stop thinking like "I need to integrate the changes from upstream
> > > > into my WIP to keep up to date."
> > > >
> > > > [...]
> > > >
> > > > Once you get used to that, you would not have "a dirty directory"
> > > > problem.
> > > 
> > > I respectfully beg to differ.  I think it is entirely reasonable, and
> > > not a sign of "centralized" mindset, to want to pull changes others
> > > have made into your dirty repository with a single command.
> > 
> >   I agree, I have such needs at work.  Here is how we (very informally)
> > work: people push things that they believe could help other (a new
> > helper function, a new module, a bug fix) in our master ASAP, but
> > develop big complex feature in their repository and merge into master
> > when it's ready.
> > 
> >   Very often we discuss some bugfix that is impeding people, or a
> > most-wanted-API. Someone does the work, commits, I often want to merge
> > master _directly_ into my current work-branch, because I want the
> > fix/new-API/... whatever.
> 
> How about merging just that "fix/new-API/... whatever" thing and not
> the whole master, which should be a complete mess by now?

  No master only holds simple patches (few of them, typically half a
dozen a day), or long-lived branches that are tested and ready to merge.

> The way you explained it it looks like typical centralized workflow.

  Well I disagree, it's /part/ centralized. We have a two speed devel
method, one that works the old-centralized way for quick fixes, and a
more decentralized approach for big changes. It's a rather nice and
useful middle ground for a company where all programmers are within
earshot.

-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                [email-masked]
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org