Subject: Re: Inconsistencies with git log

From: Peter Baumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:29:14 +0100

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 01:11:01AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> David Symonds wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2007 10:19 AM, Brian Gernhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> However, Dave's suggestion of altering git-status output to be
>>> relative to (but not limited by) CWD has merit.  Too bad I don't have
>>> time to work on it right now.
>>
>> I am happy to hack on this if there's not widespread revolt against the concept.
>>
>
> I'd definitely like that feature, but I wonder how many people will run
> "git commit -a" in a subdir after seeing only what they want to see in the
> output, and then accidentally committing junk somewhere else in the repo.
>
> So perhaps git-commit -a should also be path-delimited, but where would we
> end up then? It might be better to just let git-status accept a path
> delimiter and let the path delimiter default to current work-dir.
>

I agree that 'git status' should show the *whole* tree and if it will work
in subdirectories with 'git status .' or 'git status Documentation', it
would be a nice UI improvement.

But please don't make it always show only the current subdir.

-Peter