Subject: Re: git push mirror mode

From: Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:44:32 +0000

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:14:12PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Barring any errors in my understanding of the matter, here's how it
> works for git.
> 
> git separates author from committer, so code attribution is done with
> author, and "I verified this is sane" is done by committer. Those two
> usually only ever differ when the user tells git commit that the author
> was someone else than him/her self, or when rewriting history with git
> rebase or similar. git am also maintains authorship (using the From:
> line in emails), but sets $committer to the person running it, so when
> you apply patches sent by email from someone else you get the code
> attribution right by default.
> 
> The Signed-off-by line is, in git, used as "I touched the code here and
> agree that it may be included in the mothership repo and all future
> releases" (the spirit of that sentence is also in
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches).
> 
> We also have Acked-by (as does the kernel, no? I think we inherited it
> from there) to mean something along the lines of "I vote we include this",
> but not always based on technical merit (ie, patches can have many acks
> without having ever been tested).
> 
> Suggested-by, Tested-by and Reported-by are used less often, not always
> written in dash-form, but hopefully always self-explanatory ;-)

What that doesn't tell me is how when sending an email carrying a patch
one ensures the attribution is correct when loaded into git.

Having messed about with it a bit it does seem that if one wants git to
attribute the patch to junio I have to add a From: line to the top of
the email payload.

I'll resend so attributed.

-apw