Subject: Re: git push mirror mode V4 (replacement stack)

From: Andy Whitcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:00:16 +0000

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 11:30:41PM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Following this mail is a complete replacement git push mirror mode
> stack (V4).  It folds down all the various patches into a logical
> sequence (thanks Dscho).  This stack passes the entire test suite,
> and I have been using the same code for real work here.

Ok, I have spotted one oddity with this feature.  The symbolic refs are
getting converted to real refs in the mirror.  Generally speaking this
is the <remote>/HEAD refs but I guess it may be possible to have others.

I have had a looked about and I am actually confused as to whether we
maintain remote symbolic refs at all?  Cirtainly git-clone.sh seems to
do some hoop jumping, comparing the sha1's of all of the fetched branches
and replacing the HEAD reference with a symbolic reference should it find
a match.

I am unsure if this a huge problem or not.  Its not preventing me using
it as an effective mirror, but if we assume one is making the mirror as
a backup, then there would be slightly more than an rsync to convert the
the repo back into your original, though I guess there already is as you
would want to insert your config into the remote also.

Perhaps someone with a better understanding could point me to where we
we maintain these refs, if we indeed do?

-apw