Subject: Re: [PATCH,RFC 1/2] Make the list of common commands more exclusive

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:20:18 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 11:21:34AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
> git format-patch could probably go in, but skip the others. I've never
> used git cherry in my entire life and it's not, strictly speaking,
> necessary for users to have it. There are other and easier ways to
> find the same information.

How useful it is depends on the project, definitely.  The Linux kernel
doesn't have the "what's cooking" emails, and is very fast-moving, so
a day after you submit your patch set via e-mail, and then you do a
pull, and several hundred commits come spilling down from upstream,
git-cherry is incredibly useful to see what was accepted and what
wasn't.  :-)

> I'd keep cherry-pick though. It's incredibly useful, and especially
> when a commit ends up on the wrong branch which is something newbies
> are likely to do when they start trying out the topic-branch workflow.
> I still do it sometimes, but hardly ever stop thinking about it since
> it's so easy to fix thanks to cherry-pick.

How often cherry-pick is useful is probably also very project
specific, and depends on how branchy a project happens to be, and how
aggressively patches get merged into the master development line.  For
a project that is extremely linear, with few branches, cherry-pick is
less useful; I didn't have any occasion to use it for quite a while,
and certainly not while I was a git beginner.

							- Ted