Subject: Re: wishlist: git info

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:21:01 +0100

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:32:19 +0100, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> > Is slightly troubles me that you put so much emphasis on what I would call 
> > "remote information".  I understand that in svn, your working directory 
> > without the server is not very useful.  But we do not have that problem.
> that is true. My usage pattern probably stems from the fact that I am a
> long term svn user :) And I use git for work now, where there is indeed
> some kind of central repository just as in a Subversion setting.
> In a fully decentralized setting the remote information is probably not
> as important, although you might still want to know what happens if you
> issue "git pull".

The remote URL isn't /the/ useful bit, most of the time. Either you have just
one remote, which is the project central repository and you probably know
which it is just by knowing which project it is, or you have many of them and
their names tell you enough.

Note, that unlike in Subversion, the branch name is /not/ part of the URL.
And that is the useful bit of the information. So what 'git info' probably
should show is:
 - Which branch is currently checked out
 - Which branch it is tracking (inspect the config)
 - List of n (where n is small integer) "closest" branches, where the
   distance to a branch is number of commits in HEAD since common ancestor
   with that branch.
 - Latest included tag. Basically something like git describe.
 - Short log of last few commits.

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>