Subject: Re: Git in a Nutshell guide

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:13:58 -0500

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:10:07PM +0100, Benoit Sigoure wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Lars Hjemli wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 2007 5:57 PM, Benoit Sigoure <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Understanding this is very important because ``error humanum est'',
>>> and people happen to screw up their hard work and they don't realize
>>> that they can go back without even knowing what the hell the reflog
>>> is or how to use it (I personally don't know -- but I'd like to, give
>>> me pointers please :D).
>>
>> You can simply try 'git reflog', and then 'man git-reflog' ;-)
>
> Did you only read the man?  It doesn't explain how to use the reflog or I 
> must have a very hard time understanding it.  I don't know where the 
> HEAD@{N} syntax is documented, but surely not in man git-reflog.

My copy at least has this paragraph:

	The subcommand "show" (which is also the default, in the absence of any
       subcommands) will take all the normal log options, and show the log of
       HEAD, which will cover all recent actions, including branch switches.
       It is basically an alias for git log -g --abbrev-commit
       --pretty=oneline, see git-log(1).

But, yeah, HEAD@{N} isn't documented there or in git-log(1), it's in
git-rev-parse(1).  I agree that the git-reflog manpage should at least
reference all of this, as it's the obvious first place people will go to learn
about reflogs....

--b.