Subject: Re: gitweb: kernel versions in the history (feature request, probably)

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:59:04 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:20:42PM +0100, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> I see gitweb is much more usable (faster) than a few months ago, but
> there is one thing a bit problematic: in the history of patches I'm
> very often interested in which kernel version of Linus' tree the patch
> appeared for the first time. If it's not some big problem, and maybe
> somebody else finds this useful too, I'd really appreciate adding such
> a feature.

  in git terms, you'd like gitweb to provide output for command:

	git describe --contains

This is interesting feature request. I guess the support would be nice,
though in theory this operation can be a bit resource-intensive in case
there is not many tags and a lot of development (with uncached
repository, this query took quite a bit of time on my copy of the kernel
git tree). Probably this should be an optional feature and somehow dwell
on a separate page, which doesn't fit too well in the current gitweb
page structure...

> Petr, I hope there is no necessity to subscribe to the git list for
> this one question, so I'd really feel greteful for forwarding, if you
> find this request reasonable.

  Yes, there is no necessity - you can post this on the git mailing list
without subscribing yourself.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
that it wasn't a fish.		-- Marshall McLuhan