Subject: Re: Wishlist for a bundle-only transport mode

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:09:41 +0100

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Santi Béjar wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2007 4:06 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> "Santi Béjar" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> OK. So git push will never understand bundles.
>>
>> Why not?
> 
> Sorry, I misunderstood you, because pushing to an existing
> bundle loses information, and that is also inconsistent with pushing
> to regular repositories.

Pushing to regular repositories _adds_ information (adds objects
and advances refs). Junio proposed that "git push <bundle>" do the
same, which means getting refs from bundle, and adding objects
to bundle creating new bundle, which contain all the old one has,
and all what was created since then. What information would be lost?

Johannes provided alternate solution which you can use even now,
namely how to create "incremental" bundle, which has all objects
since last bundle was created. But this does not play with the way
push works with ordinary, regular repositories.

P.S. Code speaks louder than words ;-)
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland