Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:14:53 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, David Kastrup wrote:
> 
>> Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> [ I get really really annoyed when your replies to me aren't directly 
>>>   addressed to me, Jakub.  Told you so repeatedly in the past as well.
>>>   Why are you the only one on this list apparently not able to use a 
>>>   proper email setup? ]

It is about proper _newsreader_ setup, in fact...

>> X-Injected-Via-Gmane: http://gmane.org/
>> 
>> And Jakub by far is not the only one using gmane for reading and writing
>> to the list.
> 
> It is strange, though, that Jakub is the only one I've noticed who isn't 
> able to do me the courtesy of addressing me directly when replying to 
> me.

My responding [sometimes] only to list is combination of several
issues.

First, newsreader I use, namely KNode 0.10.2 in Kontact 1.2.3 from
KDE 3.5.3 does not make it easy. By default it replies only to list
unless Mail-Reply-To header is used (which shouldn't IIRC). I have
to click reply by e-mail button to send reply via email... and it
adds only last author, from  From header. The rest I have to add by
hand.

Second, something is rotten^W broken between GMane and VGER; if I add
git email address to the list of addresses to send to, VGER rejects and
refuses to send to git mailing list. I have to send also to newsgroup
(gmane.comp.version-control.git) to send to all git mailing list. Now
it looks like two mails are actually send: one to CC'ed addresses, one
to git mailing list, and sometimes people when replying me forget to
reply also to git mailing list.

So third, when I don't think I have something significant to contribute,
and I don't necessary expect answer, I send email only to git mailing
list (news message only to GMane newsgroup coupled with git mailing
list, actually).

Sure, one of solutions would be for me to change newsreader, for example
to Gnus (as people using Gnus doesn't seem to have the same problem
I have), but I think you do know that it is not easy to change habits.

[cut]

Nevertheless, mails are sent to git mailing list, so they should go
to you too.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland