Subject: Re: git-svn: .git/svn disk usage

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:46:03 -0800

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 07:37:51AM +0100, Pascal Obry wrote:
>Ollie,
>
>> I'm curious if other developers have run into this issue.  If so, are
>> there any proposals / plans for improving the storage of git-svn
>> metadata?
>
>Did you run "git gc" after importing code form the subversion
>repository? On my side I found that it has reduced drastically the size
>of the local Git repository.

I think the original poster is probably finding the space in the .git/svn
directory.  'git-svn' keeps an index file for every branch in SVN.

I suspect it does this for speed, at least on a large import, since the SVN
commits will come across numerically, affecting the branches out of order.

However, the index could fairly easily be extracted from git (since that is
what it normally does).  In this case, where all of the indexes take
significant space if this is worth it.

Ollie, if you look in these svn branch directories, is most of the space
taken up with files called 'index'?

Browsing through the few svn clones that I have, the space seems to be
roughly split between 'index' files and 'unhandled.log' files.

Dave