Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: [email-masked] (Brian Downing)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:18:51 -0600

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 06:37:52PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * jc/api-doc (Sat Nov 24 23:48:04 2007 -0800) 1 commit
>  - Start preparing the API documents.
> 
> The primary reason of this series is because I think we made the system
> a lot less approachable by losing hackability.  Although we still have
> sample scripts in contrib/example for use of plumbing in scripts, they
> will not help aspiring git-hacker-wannabees when our primary attention
> has already shifted to moving things to C.
> 
> This currently consists of mostly stubs, although I wrote about a few
> topics as examples.

One comment on this:

+sometype *ary;
+int nr;
+int alloc
+
+for (i = 0; i < nr; i++)
+	if (you like ary[i])
+		return;
+/* you did not like any existing one, so add one */
+ALLOC_GROW(ary, nr+1, alloc);
+ary[nr++] = value you like;

Shouldn't we be encouraging the use of size_t here?  I don't know of a
64-bit platform off hand that has an 'int' that's actually 64 bits, so
encouraging this just seems like asking for 64-bit platform limitations
when arrays get over 2GB.

(Looking through the code it looks like there's a fair bit of using
'int' for array indices already, but I think it's probably best not to
perpetuate that.)

-bcd