Subject: Re: Git and GCC

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:11:39 -0800

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 11:49:21PM -0800, Harvey Harrison wrote:
>
>> 	git repack -a -d --depth=250 --window=250
>> 
>
>Since I have the whole gcc repo locally I'll give this a shot overnight
>just to see what can be done at the extreme end or things.

When I tried this on a very large repo, at least one with some large files
in it, git quickly exceeded my physical memory and started thrashing the
machine.  I had good results with

  git config pack.deltaCacheSize 512m
  git config pack.windowMemory 512m

of course adjusting based on your physical memory.  I think changing the
windowMemory will affect the resulting compression, so changing these
ratios might get better compression out of the result.

If you're really patient, though, you could leave the unbounded window,
hope you have enough swap, and just let it run.

Dave