Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove .git/branches from the .git template.

From: Kristian Høgsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 23:34:56 -0500

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:30:55AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The code in git to read the info in .git/branches is still there,
> > but nothing ever writes to this, so lets stop creating it.
> >
> > Signed-off-by: Kristian Høgsberg <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> >
> > As far as I can see this should be safe, but I admit to never really
> > knowing what .git/branches was originally used for - tracking remote
> > branches or something?  In any case, we only ever read from this dir
> > so the only left in git to deal with this seems to be for compatibilty
> > with older repos.
> 
> This was done purely so that Cogito would not barf on a repository
> initialized with "git init" even if it did not bother creating necessary
> leading directories when it writes its rough equivalent to .git/remotes/
> information.  I do not recall if Cogito had such a problem anymore, but
> I think it can safely go when Cogito is effectively dead.

OK, I don't know where cogito is in that respect, I thought maybe we had
just forgotten we still created that directory.  Should we just try to
apply the patch to find out how it might interact with cogito?

Kristian