Subject: Re: Adding Git to Better SCM Initiative : Comparison

From: Chris Shoemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:50:52 -0500

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:49:39PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Jakub Narebski:
> 
> > +                <s id="git">
> > +                    Yes (or no depending on interpretation). Git
> 
> This should be "No." (same for copies below).

ISTM that people are stuck using less than helpful criteria for
judging whether renames are supported.  Namely, in effect, they ask:
"Does the user get to do extra work in order to get rename-detection?"

Let me humbly suggest an alternate, two-fold, very practical criteria
that I actually care about as a user:

1) If I edit file A, while another developer renames file A to B, and
I merge my work with his, do I have to clean things up myself, or does
everything Just Work?

2) If I'm browsing the history of some code in a renamed file, does
the history continue through the rename?

By these criteria, git certainly does support renames.

-chris