Subject: Re: git-bisect feature suggestion: "git-bisect diff"

From: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:24:46 +0100

* Christian Couder <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Tell us if you have other scripts or suggestions related to 
> git-bisect.

not strictly git-bisect related, but i've got the git-authors oneliner 
script below that i find very useful when figuring out whom to mail to 
related to a bug in any given kernel subsystem. For example when i see 
some USB problem i can do:

  git-authors v2.6.23.. drivers/usb/

which gives me the most active (and hence most relevant) developers in 
an area:

      9  Pete Zaitcev <[email-masked]>
     10  Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
     12  David Brownell <[email-masked]>
     12  Oliver Neukum <[email-masked]>
     23  Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
     49  Alan Stern <[email-masked]>

with an email to pick up. In terms of accuracy this beats the 
MAINTAINERS file most of the time. And even when MAINTAINERS is accurate 
- in this particular case there are 48 'USB' related entries in the 
MAINTAINERS file - totally hard to sort out for a newbie.

git-authors is also much easier and more natural to use - when i find 
problems it's usually related to a file, and i can run this:

$ git-authors v2.6.23.. kernel/pid.c
      1  Eric W. Biederman <[email-masked]>
      1  Pavel Emelianov <[email-masked]>
      1  Serge E. Hallyn <[email-masked]>
      3  Sukadev Bhattiprolu <[email-masked]>
     10  Pavel Emelyanov <[email-masked]>

which works on a very finegrained level and gives a better "overview" 
than a pure git-log. Perhaps this could be a --authorstats option of 
git-log perhaps?

	Ingo

---------{ git-authors }--------->
#!/bin/bash

git-log $@ | grep Author: | cut -d: -f2 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n