Subject: Re: [PATCH] Teach git-gui to split hunks

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:48:25 -0500

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> > When you select the context menu item "Split Hunk" in the diff area,
> > git-gui will now split the current hunk so that a new hunk starts at
> > the current position.
> > 
> > For this to work, apply has to be called with --unidiff-zero, since
> > the new hunks can start or stop with a "-" or "+" line.
> 
> NACK! --unidiff-zero eats your data.

Yea, don't worry about that, I won't be applying any patch to git-gui
that feeds data to git-apply with --undiff-zero.  Not unless its
completely bullet-proof that the hunk headers will *never* be wrong.

I'd rather always apply with context and let git-apply do its thing
to validate the hunks.  If you can get the hunk headers computed
right you can also get the context computed right, which means
git-apply can actually verify the patch can be applied, thus double
checking the splitter.
 
> Reason: --unidiff-zero can only look at the line numbers. And those are
> wrong because it doesn't account for the shift in line numbers caused by the
> first hunk.

-- 
Shawn.