Subject: Re: [PATCH] provide advance warning of some future pack default changes

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:57:09 -0500

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:52:16PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> 
> > By the way, just as a data point: I do keep some git repositories on
> > NFS, and access them from multiple machines with different git versions
> > (not on purpose--it's just that the machines don't all run the same
> > distro, so it'd be extra work to give them all the same version).  I
> > don't use anything older than 1.5.0.  If the repository became unusable
> > on one of those machines without warning it'd be annoying.
> 
> What the v1.5.5 release notes will say is that you'll have to set 
> pack.indexversion=1 to remain compatible with pre-1.5.2 Git versions.  

Is there any reason not to make pack.indexversion=1 the default (for
preexisting repositories at the very least) and suggest in the release
notes that people set something else if they want the features the new
version provides?

--b.

> And even if you forget about it then there'll be a simple way to regain 
> compatibility after the facts.