Subject: Re: Question about git-svn import

From: Jörg Sommer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:31:59 +0100

Hello Pascal,

Pascal Obry schrieb am Tue 18. Dec, 08:10 (+0100):
> Steven Walter a écrit :
> > Not sure if this is the best way, but I would recommend cloning into two
> > repositories, then combining them.  
> 
> I feared that :)

It's not as complicated as you might think.

> > So you already have the newer
> > changes with the standard layout.  You would now:
> > 
> >     $ git svn init <repo>
> > 
> > And only fetch the revisions before the layout change.  You could then
> > combine the two repositories using .git/info/grafts and
> > git-rewrite-branch.
> 
> Hum, looks like something not easy to do (at least for a Git beginner
> like me) ! Any documentation on this ? Would you mind showing this on
> the example script I sent ?

I had the same problem. We changed the structure of our SVN repository
from /trunk/pkg to /pkg/trunk and git-svn couldn't deal with this.

I used the script posted in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-jed-devel/2007-December/001719.html
to do the switch.

Some suggestions:
1. Import both parts into one git repo into their own branches. (use
   --prefix)

2. Use gitk to insprect the history to find bad commits, e.g. empty
   commits or things git-svn imported wrong.

3. Use git-filter-branch with the --parent-filter to join the branches.

HTH, Jörg.
-- 
Die am Lautesten reden, haben stets am wenigsten zu sagen.